Monday, February 1, 2010

What about?

I said in my last post that this post would be about parabens; however, I wanted to post some thoughts and observations quickly tonight. A paraben post is coming soon, I promise. Okay,so my observations:
  • Have you noticed in the malls any of those nail salons?  Have you noticed that the employees wear face masks?!  If the fumes are bad, why don't they hand the masks out to the customers, too?  Do they offer them? I wonder... 
  • I know of a person that has a child with a peanut allergy.  He even reacted one time because he was riding in the shopping cart and holding onto the  handle.  A previous cart user had touched peanuts and then the handle.  Now that's another reason to wipe off your cart handle!
  • If people are allergic to latex, I wonder how many businesses hand out or use latex-free pens on their counters?  I've seen some packaged and sold at the local office supply store, so that got me to thinking.  Think about the banks and restaurants where you may be likely to use the business' pen.  That would be an easy and considerate change we could all do.  And think about all the free pens we give away for marketing purposes!
  • How many people have small first-aid kits in their offices - you know the small ones with a few adhesive bandages and wipes?  How many people have latex-free kits?  Now, presumable a person with such an allergy would know not to accept a bandage, but what do they do it they really need one?  Where is one to be found? 
  • What kind of cleaners do you use in your office?  Are they strong industrial cleaners?  Are they really needed?  How many people off the street come into your business each day?  Could they be having a reaction and you not know it?  Are the employees having to endure toxic chemicals for over 40 hours a week? Can a few of those cleaners be changed to healthier cleaners?  Are we creating sick building syndrome by trying to kills germs to stay healthy?  Makes me appreciate my office window!
  • I know a person that will have an asthma attack after a mechanic has driven his car.  You know that smell when you get back into your car after a mechanic has been in it?  Not so good for some people.  I haven't figured out an alternative for that one.  
Just some thoughts.  What have you noticed?

No comments: