Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Pair of Bens...

No, not a pair of Bens.  I mean parabens.  What are they, why all the hype, and why do I try to avoid them?

Parabens are used as preservatives in almost all of your cosmetics.  And when I say cosmetics, I mean your shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, toothpaste, soap, make-up, lotion... get the idea?  Go get your shampoo bottle and look at the ingredient list.  I bet you'll find some of those big words that I can't pronounce will end in "paraben."

Well, if they are preservatives, that's good, right?  Well, they are also known skin irritants (the first reason for me looking at the ingredient list), hormone disrupters, and carcinogens.  If you do much research about parabens, you'll hear about the research done where women with breast cancer were found to have parabens in the tissue.

Now, the FDA says they are used in such small quantities that they aren't harmful.  My sore skin begged to differ.

Some argue that many of the paraben items are used in a hot shower, increasing the skin absorption.  Others acknowledge that the amounts in one item may be small, but consider how many of those small quantities you use each day!  Also consider that Japan and Sweden are now banning them from all cosmetics and toiletries!

The author of this article published in a Canadian magazine sums up the chemicals pretty succinctly.

So, what are some paraben free items?  Most items will point out in large print if they are paraben-free. 
  • Kiss My Face olive oil soap (I can find it locally at Kroger or Giant Eagle's Market District)
  • Vanicream lotion and soap (online or have a pharmacist order it)
  • Free and Clear shampoo and conditioner (made by same company as Vanicream) (found online or have a pharmacist order it)
  • Renpure shampoo and conditioner  (I can find locally at Rite Aid). 
  • I haven't found makeup that I like, yet that is paraben free, but you can search for Swedish make-up and buy online.
  • This blog lists Tom's of Maine deoderant.  I didn't care for it when I tried it - it just felt sticky. 
  • Jason has some (if not all?) hair and shampoo products that are paraben free.  (Again, I can find it at Kroger in the organic section locally).
  • Burt's Bees!  - they are now announcing a toothpaste on their website!  - check out their website for info on label reading and the definition of "natural." - You may be surprised.  I use their lipstick and lip moisturizer.  Where can you find Burt's Bees?  If you ask this, you haven't been in a store lately!  WalMart, Target, Kroger, drug stores, health food stores...
If you need a paraben-free product and have trouble finding it, let me know.  I'll see what I can find.  Also, keep in mind that you can use the Skin Deep product database (link is listed in my favorite links, too) to research product ingredients.

Here's to more paraben-free products!

No comments: