Monday, January 18, 2010

Soft laundry without the chemicals

I haven't found one green person yet – whether they are green for environmental reasons or health reasons or both - that says fabric softeners are okay to use. Many say the dryer balls are great to use. But I got to wondering – they are just a hard plastic and we're putting them in a heated environment. Is that good? I've only found one person, so far, who says not to use them. I have found chemical-free towels that are supposed to do the same thing as the balls. They are supposed to work by the weave of the fabric. Interesting. I wonder if it works.

Also some recommend putting vinegar in the washing machine to create softness without a fabric softener. I use this method along with the drier balls for now. Don't worry. You can not smell the vinegar afterwards - less that a 1/4 cup per load will do the trick. There are some fabrics where one probably does not want to use vinegar – the acidity breaks down the fibers, supposedly.

Just something to think about. . .

No comments: