Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Go Green for Better Health

Being green is better for your health. In Sara Snow's Fresh Living, Snow explains:
In 1995 the National Toxicology Program tested four hundred of the eighty thousand different chemical compounds currently in use for carcinogenicity. Based on results, researchers estimated that somewhere between four and eight thousand chemicals currently in use are likely to trigger cancer. Another study found that women who work in the home have a 55 percent higher risk of developing cancer or other chronic respiratory disease than those who work outside of the home.” [bold added]

They say our indoor air is much worse than the air outside. They aren't kidding!

A friend told me about a story she saw on he Veria television station. A young woman was sick until the age of 18. Doctors could not figure out what was wrong with her. Her mom kept the house clean from germs, what could be the problem after all the serious problems were ruled out? The girl went off to college and was the healthiest she had ever been. She graduated college, got an apartment of her own, and started her new, exciting life. Except she started getting sick again. This time, they were finally able to figure out what was wrong. When the young woman moved into her own apartment, she started cleaning like her mom had. The cleaners were making her sick.

Now, I'm a fan of a clean home! When I was in college my roommates would tease me because I was always vacuuming. (I would argue that they just never wiped their feet!) Anyway, what are some easy things to do and products to use to keep that clean home but that does not add to the toxicity levels in your home? Take your shoes off at the door... especially if you have your yard treated! Do you really want to track in all those petroleum products onto your floors where the kids play, toys go into mouths, and pets roam? I admit, I like really warm feet, so I'm not really good at this in the winter time if I don't have slippers handy.

Castille soap, vinegar, and tea tree oil can clean just about anything, I'm learning. This will also save you money, because a little of these items goes a long way. I think everyone has heard about vinegar to clean windows and the shower head. A few drops of Castille soap and tea tree oil in a spray bottle can be used to clean counters, door knobs etc. I've used it to dust, too. If you want specific recipes, I can direct you to those.

No comments: