Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Beginning

You hear the word organic frequently these days. Pretty common, right? I'd heard about organic cotton, for example - about all the environmental effects of pesticides and how organic is better. Heck, I'd even taught elementary students about bio accumulation (how the higher up the food chain an animal is, the more chemicals in it's body because it had eaten something that had eaten something that had eaten something... lots of chemicals.) I've heard about the advantages of using simple cleaners like vinegar. Yes, I've even been known to do that, too. And I've been sensitive to certain products and known others that reacted to strong smells or chemicals. I've been an advocate, I hope, for those in the workplace who can not tolerate perfumes, candles, and the like. But I never really – I mean really – appreciated or truly connected all of those things. Until this year.

After years of misery, the doctor finally figured out my mom is allergic to formaldehyde. The only way to truly handle the allergy is to decrease exposure to it. Formaldehyde is in everything! Carpet, furniture, paint, permanent-press clothing, wrinkle-resistant clothing and sheets, polyester... it's used in the tanning process for leather. Lotions, shampoos and conditioners, laundry detergents, fabric softeners, household cleaners. Are you getting the picture yet?

If you want to see a grown woman cry, make her eyes water so badly tears are running down her face, watch her go into a store. Watch her spend five minutes in a car with someone who uses fabric softener. Watch her open the door and walk into a house where someone has just done laundry.

If you want to see someone's skin over their entire body turn read and leathery, make the person wear leather shoes.

If you want to see someone itch all night so badly she can't sleep, put sheets on the bed made of polyester – even a small percentage of polyester.

If you want to see someone itch all day during the winter, have her wear fleece.

It's miserable.

So. I've been on a mission the last few months: read and research as much as I can about chemicals in the environment around us and how to decrease exposure to them. I've learned surprising and downright pitiful information about our country's use of chemicals compared to usage in Europe. I've learned how these chemicals are harming us, safe/safer products to use, how to read labels, how to use plants to help clean the air, and so much more.

This blog is a way for me to keep track of what I'm learning and also to help others. There is not a single person I've talked to in the last several months who does not have or know someone who has chemical sensitivities or allergies to things like latex. Through hours of searching and continued searches, I've found some great sites and manufacturers. Even if you do not suffer – or know you suffer – from these chemicals, leading a cleaner, more chemical-free lifestyle will be healthier for you, the people around you, and the environment.

And maybe, if folks are lucky, my writing this will help keep me from talking about it constantly. They can read this anytime they want instead of me adding some new fact to every conversation. You're right. It might not be possible.

No comments: