Friday, July 30, 2010

It's not easy being green

Kermit the Frog had it right years ago when he said, "It's not easy being green."  Since I was little, I've loved wood.  Every tree has it's own "personality" when it's growing, and the wood when cut is all so beautiful and unique.  The grains, the colors, the textures.

I recently discovered the new hobby of marquetry.  It's the art of making pictures with thin wood veneers.  My first project, a sad attempt, was of a person hiking up a mountain.  It's a great little art project - connects me with nature and art and is a peaceful endeavor.

Then I realized:  formaldehyde!  The glue I'm using no doubt has formaldehyde in it.  I imagine the veneer does as well.  So now I need to decide if I should keep going with this hobby.  Will the additional formaldehyde bother my mother when she is visiting?  If so, the decision will be made.  After all, she's my equivalent of the coal miner's canary.

I say all of this, but I do want to reinforce that we cannot escape all formaldehyde, even if it was completely banned.  For example, some formaldehyde is given off by a gas stove or when burning something with fire.  But, to me, it is about choices.  We all have to ask ourselves:  is the item worth it?  Are there alternatives?   It's about living more lightly, decreasing amounts not total elimination.

No comments: